Monday 11 June 2012

My Dark Ages army at the moment!


So this is my Dark Ages 28mm army as it stands today- 

I'm reluctant to decide upon which army they are just yet- they are looking to be either Kent or Wessex English Saxons or Danish Vikings but either way they're a scandinavian warband looking to cause trouble. 
Theyre designed to be used with the Warhammer Ancient Battles: Shieldwall supplement.

The figures are a combination of warlord games celts and wargames factory ancient germans, celts, vikings and saxons, with one or two gripping beast metal figs. The scale is almost identical between models and they rank up well side by side. Hopefully I'll be adding in some gripping beast saxon thegns in a fierce shieldwall formation, they seem to be very similar in scale too. I wanted some of the celtic and germanic elements in the army as this is meant to represent an early scandinavian army, and be used in games in both Scandinavia, England and Europe. Its a toss up between the ordered saxons or the slightly more unpredicatble and chaotic vikings. ATM the saxons are winning in my mind but heyho.

Originally they were a welsh celtic warband for the Age of Arthur supplement, but the total lack of armour in the army was driving me crazy and as my own beard grew thick and untamed I felt the call of the vikings. I'd like to think ive modelled them in such a way that I can still field a large amount of my army as a celtic force if it was required.

My army is made up of:
a general on foot (gripping beast king penda)
a army standard bearer on foot (gripping beast king penda's banner)
a pagan priest/ druid (radagast the brown from the GW LotR range)

That's it for characters at the moment but i intend to be adding a few more in soon.

62 infantry in light armour with a mixture of hand weapons, shields, spears and double handed axes
92 infantry in cloth (no amrour) with a mixture of hand weapons, shields and spears
16 skirmishing archers on round bases in war of the ring movement trays
16 skirmishing slingers (if playing certain armies) on round bases in war of the ring movement trays
14 skirmishing javelin throwers on round bases in war of the ring movement trays

The entire army is mounted on Renedra bases, a mixture of 20mm x 20mm squares, 20mm x 100mm strips and for skirmishers 25mm round bases. 

Basing materials supplied by Famous Gaming, check them out!

I still have about 40 unarmoured infantry to make into bondi & thralls or ceorls & geburs, bringing the total to at least 240 men. Not a bad start!



Characters- usually mixed into the army units, Penda and Radagast in a large chunk of Thegns or Huscarls works nicely!


Half the army...


... and the other half


And from above!

Time for some much needed painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment